Wednesday, July 03, 2013

Many Firsts.

So many things have taken place in the last few months that I've failed to record and immortalise in this blog--Yanxin's party, the end of my school life, Mereith's amazing epic wedding, SLDK crew, Japan, my first boothing experience... Maybe I could catch up on a few of them here. :)

Being to Japan seemed like a surreal experience for me. This was my first trip on my own/with friends, and I'm thankful that my trip had a lovely balance of fun-time with friends, catching up with family, and self-exploration on my own.

Being surrounded by unfamiliarity makes a person really reflect on her life, realise the things she takes for granted, things that fade into the "everyday" and not given much of a thought. Simple things like transportation, language, culture, decorum are so different there, it took me quite a bit of getting used to--both when I reached Japan, and when I came back from Japan.

People there feel responsible for their actions. They're permitted to eat and drink on trains (and yet the trains remain so clean). They greet strangers warmly, they're extremely polite (to the point that it feels a bit routine sometimes, like a standard way of behaving), and they actually apologise when they walk into you by accident. (!!!! was really pleasantly surprised)

The culture at Dance Studios is the same. Everyone greets each other with a friendly "OHAIYO!" regardless of whether they know the person beforehand or not. (I know this because they greeted me too) and everyone leaves the studio with a cheery "Otsukaresamadesu" meaning you have worked hard. People are considerate and respect others who came before them in positioning themselves in class, and everyone is fairly happy to help each other.

I'm not saying I didn't miss Singapore at all, man, there were so many times when I realised how dumb I was for taking simple things like affordable transport for granted in Singapore. But there are just so many things about Japan that I love so much as well, that coming back was a relief, and also a bit of a bummer. There, every day was exciting, refreshing, and energising in itself, and every day I came back feeling as if I had seen a part of His world I had never seen before. It felt refreshing, and at some times, I really felt just at home there.

So here's a list of the top 10 things I loved about this trip. (there are so many more things I love, but I'll keep to 10 to prevent myself from rambling too much)
Because I can't decide which I love best, here we go in no particular order:

#1: The Otaku Hangouts.
Good gosh, call me a nerd, but these were my FAVOURITE PLACES EVER. Akihabara and Nakano Broadway were my favourites. Cheap artbooks, awesome gachapon machines that give you actually good stuff and not cheapo crapshit, and cheap merchandise if you are patient enough to dig around... I had such a fun time digging through merchandise that wasn't necessarily classified nicely, but nevertheless I had a sense of achievement every time I found something good. Man, Japan is really the land of anime and manga. Every Otaku's homeland.

#2: Cheap and Good Japanese food.
Thanks to our friends, we got to eat cheap and authentic Japanese food that was popular among the locals. (knowing how to speak a bit of Japanese really helps when you're there) My favourite was Hama Sushi. Really the BEST sushi I've eaten, and for only 100yen per plate! The Aburi ones and the grilled salmon were UNREAL. It's been awhile since I've eaten something so yummy and affordable.

#3: The Company.
I'm really blessed to have such a dynamic bunch of people to travel around with. Hua and Elise are very different from me in terms of travelling preferences and personalities, but because of that, I think I've learnt to broaden my travel perspectives on this trip and have seen and learnt many things I wouldn't have been exposed to if I hadn't gone with them. Coincidentally meeting Bargain-King Reico as well as Elise's friends there also enabled me to have local experiences that wouldn't have been possible if I hadn't gone with them. There is merit in travelling alone because you get to do only the things that you want to do, but there is also great merit in travelling with others because even if you aren't doing something that you planned or set out to do, you'll somehow end up having fun anyway. (and that's the way it was with us most of the time) So thank you, guys, for a great time. :)

#4: EN Dance Studio.
The dance culture in Japan is truly one to be experienced. From the friendly "ohaiyo" and "otsukaresama"s, to the warmth of the Japanese dancers, to their total inhuman dopeness and amazing ability to remember steps, to their sheer perseverance and determination to keep up with the class... My one week pass at EN studio was truly worth it. Although I struggled to fully understand the class which was being taught in Japanese (all the complex dance terms and weight shift being explained in Japanese), I eventually got used to it and picked up a few terms that the Japanese instructors use when they teach. On top of that, they are wonderful and patient teachers that can perfectly demonstrate what they wish to execute. I can't say that I've improved loads from my one-week stint there, but I think I've learnt a lot from observing and listening to what they have to say. Hopefully I can implement this in my dancing in future. :)

#5: Their Matsuris.
We were blessed enough to have the chance to experience a small-scaled Matsuri for ourselves! Even though our gracious host Yui told us that it was a really small matsuri compared to famous ones like the Gion Matsuri, it felt pretty large scaled to me! The crowd was overwhelming, and so many people were dressed up in their yukatas and pretty outfits! Hua and I decided to wear our newly bought yukatas to fit in with the occasion, and it was great fun to be amongst the locals at their local festival! The matsuri was everything I imagined it to be, the water balloon games, girls in pretty yukatas, fishing games, lots of authentic Japanese street food, laughter, fun... (it's just like in the comics and anime!!!) We really enjoyed our time there. It's a lovely place to spend time with your friends and a special someone. Not to mention they sold really neat and affordable accessories and souvenirs!

#6: Asakusa/Ueno stores and the shopping arcades.
Shopping at Asakusa and Ueno is affordable and exciting--even their ordinary departmental stores! (depaato) I love the way the stores are arranged for easy navigation and browsing. (I'm not really a fan of the huge Shibuya or Ginza stores...) Also, shopping arcades like Tenjinbashi and Shinsaibashi in Osaka are so fun and convenient to shop at as they consist of a single stretch of stalls operating side-by-side, so all you have to do is walk along that street, and stop whenever you see something dandy. :) (and very often, I do) Sales were great for us because we came at a time of changing seasons (Spring to Summer) and many of the clothes are suitable for Singapore weather!

#7: Theme Parks.
The Japanese really know how to have fun, and their theme parks are a clear sign of this! I love being at theme parks not just for the rides, but just for the atmosphere, the facade and the people! The Japanese love to dress up in group themes, so we saw a lot of matching outfits and accessories there! (there were also many kids in seifuku, we were wondering why Japanese schools have such weird lesson timings :/ ) A bit bummed that Journey to the Centre of the Earth was under maintenance AGAIN and that Toy Story's queue was too long for us, but nevertheless rides like Tower of Terror really made our time there worth it!

Also managed to go to the Sega Joypolis at Odaiba with Alden where I conquered my uneasiness with upside down rides! The rides there were really unique and required cooperation (we needed to work really hard for our fun) and I enjoyed every one! I don't like Haunted Houses so I feel kinda bad that I didn't wanna go for those hahahahaha. The shooting simulator games were really special and fun too! Although I really suck at those compared to him. :[

#8: Their convenience stores (Konbini).
Unlike the 7-11s here, you can buy really tasty and full meals at convenience stores in Japan! Bento sets, sushi, pasta, soba, you name it. Lawson's 100 has most food going at 100yen, while the other convenience stores are set at affordable prices too. I have a weakness for Japanese bento sets so I was really happy to see so many konbinis selling them. (not to mention the 250yen bentos at Akiba and Asakusa)

#9: The weather and the flowers and the cityscape.
It's like perpetually being in outdoor air-conditioning. (without it being too dry) I also have a weakness for beautiful flowers, and the Ajisai (hydrangea) was in season and flowering everywhere. I was a very happy girl. 

Being a city kid, I also enjoy cityscapes like the ones in Japan. The stack billboards and lights and roads and wire cables.... Everything. There's something very aesthetically pleasing about them to me. :)

#10: The people.
Although they keep to themselves a lot and aren't always the most extroverted people, I find the Japanese very interesting. Their diversity is endless, and I love the uniqueness in fashion sense, preferences, their creativity and their individuality. Japanese culture never fails to impress and fascinate me, even though if you ask me to explain it, it's difficult to define in simple terms. It's simply too diverse--it's not just about kimonos and geisha, or harajuku girls and sakura, it's so much more than that. And I love learning about it and discovering new things about it. (thanks to my lovely aunt and cousin who hosted me for a few days, as well as Elise's friends who have been staying there for awhile) Japan is truly a land that we will never stop getting to know, and for me, never stop falling in love with.

***

There is so much more I love about this country that I could go on rambling forever and ever, but for sanity's sake, this will do. :)

じゃ、またね〜

No comments: