Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Post-EOY Reflections.

Wow. What an amazing event. I want to get all of these thoughts out of my system before they slip out and away and become just faded memories that I look back smile upon.
"Yeah, that happened. That was nice..."
I want it to be more than that. I want it to be the start of something for me, a point in my journey, a completed Quest/Achievement Unlocked.

So let's categorize my thoughts in an attempt to be more organised.

EOY Prep

This was the insanity that was 2 weeks before the actual con.

I don't know why I'm so ambitious, and why I think one person can tank the work of a 4-5 people strong doujin circle, while balancing dance rehearsals every other day and a full-time job. Like really, Nic, why do you always believe you can become a superwoman overnight?? Sheesh.
Conclusion of the day: I am no superwoman. :(

I decided to push out 10 new button badge designs, 15 new keychain designs (a new product from my shop), a new print for people for the XY League, 9 new bookmark designs, and tried to squeeze in a new Dark Angel Stocking Print (but I didn't manage to finish it) I also squeezed 9 commissions in somehow. Those 2 weeks I got less than 4 hours of sleep a week, and the week leading up to EOY I got only 2 hours on average a night, because I return home late from dance pracs and have to stay up to finish designs in order to send them to the printers in time.

Which leads me to the point that I would really like to own my own button badge machine soon.

So yes, it was massively exhausting and I think I must've aged a decade in those 2 weeks. But somehow, everything managed to fall into place (even with the stuff at work getting super overwhelming). I didn't fall sick even with all those late nights and skipped meals, and I managed to last throughout the day at the con itself. There's a really great and merciful God who is watching over me and protecting me all this way, and I am really thankful for him for it.
On a side note, I'd probably like to focus on getting more postcards/prints out for the next con, because I still have some keychain and button badges stock from this con. :) Also planning some requests and giveaways, but I'm not popular enough to host them so YAY GANBATTE NIC.

Mini Pokemon XY League

And so I stood as the Steel Gym Leader for the Mini Pokemon X Y League that some doujin artists organised and initiated! Just wanna say that it was a really surreal experience, working alongside some of the most talented and famous doujin artists in Singapore... I never would've gotten the opportunity to even talk to these amazing people as a fellow artist if Pricey hadn't brought me in as an interested fellow Poke-nerd. So I'm really thankful. I'm really just a small fry compared to all these people, so I'm ever-grateful for the opportunity to embark on such a fun thing with them.

Preparations for this made me even more excited for EOY than I already was, as we were preparing rules, teams, prizes and just discussing ways to make this more fun and enjoyable for all the participants. I saw this as a way of giving back to the community that has supported us all this while, and was happy to be asked to contribute artwork for the prizes.

Even though mine is nothing compared to the rest, here's the badge I drew for the canbadge prizes at the halfway mark:
Since I was using a MegaLucario and my gym was the Steel Gym, I couldn't resist drawing him for my contribution. :) ❤ Lucario!!! ❤

Because all of us were really swamped prepping for the con, many of us didn't have time to properly train our Pokemon. I, being a solo doujin artist without a circle, had a lot of difficulty trying to find time to build my team properly too. Which is something I really regret... Not giving my challengers enough of a challenge. :(

BUT I did learn a lot from this experience, and I learnt a lot of things about strategising during competitive battles. It was quite thrilling to have several near wins against strong challengers too, so that was a motivation on its own. I'm really inspired to build my Steel team again, because my team had potential, but also several fatal flaws and loopholes (alongside not training them properly). It was my first time battling other people and I really hope that we doujin artists have a chance to organise this again. Heard that the challengers had a lot of fun! That makes me so happy to hear.

Gave out this exclusive print (of my imagined version of a steel gym leader heh) as well as a free bookmark to people who challenged me. :) The looks of joy and gratitude on their faces really touched me. :)

Actual Boothing and Merchandise

The weather. Was crazy. It felt like Marina Barrage was a desert or something. I really respect the cosplayers with their thick costumes and long wigs, HOW DID YOU GUYS SURVIVE???? I perpetually leave a bottle of deodorant at my booth table where I spray myself every 15 minute or so. :/

Then suddenly in the evening, a strong gale whipped up and threatened to blow away every bit of merchandise at our tables. T ___ T Thankfully my 2 booth helpers Sali and JJ helped to stop disaster from happening! These two lovelies also helped me cut out my Love Live bookmarks which I didn't have time to cut out the previous night. I don't know what I'd do without them....

Boothing itself was really fun as usual, and there wasn't a single moment when I didn't have anything to do. Every moment was busybusybusy. I had to sell merchandise, battle challengers, finish commissions I couldn't finish the previous night, talk to people and basically have 8 arms or more. (Tako-Nik) Really, running a doujin group on your own is no easy feat, but I have the help and support of lovely booth neighbours, fellow artists, and two lovely assistants. Thank you so much!!!

This was the best sales I've ever had, which isn't surprising, seeing how many people turned up for the event. (even with the terrible weather, anime-enthusiasts have strong determined spirits!!!) The keychains were still less popular than the button badges, but I guess I'll bring them to the next con to gauge responses again. :) So happy to see people liking and buying my stuff.

Gift Exchange and Getting to know other Artists

After the event, I went around giving a few gifts to people who I wanted to thank, and artists that I really liked and respected. And I received many free gifts in return too! thank youuuuu
(will post a pic of the gifts I received later fufufu)

Gave gifts to dear Pricey, of course, Sana (who's always super helpful and sweet and amazingly talented), Mintz (who's super funny and friendly always), and booth neighbour Reiru (who's super cute and a darling neighbour). These artists are so inspiring and it's amazing to think that Reiru and Mintz are so much younger (but so much more accomplished) than I am. Art can really carry you far. :)

All in all, I really love this doujin community. It's supportive, encouraging, loving, caring, and people here really look out for each other, and are able to nerd around with each other hehe. Even though I'm new (and rather noob compared to these people), they are really welcoming. :) I worried about starting this journey of mine too late, but I'm starting to gain more confidence, bit by bit.

Afterthoughts

I said on my twitter that it's a little surreal to me that people actually want to pay actual cash (not in-game credits or virtual money like that) for my artwork. Like seriously, you want to pay me to draw for you??? That's insane. I'm still reeling a little from that.

I don't think I'm there yet, nor do I know if I ever will be "there". (where is "there", anyway?)
But I know I'm on my way.
Slowly, but surely.

Like Dance, another part of my life that I really love, Art has been and will always be a never-ending journey and adventure for me. I won't stop learning, or failing, or stumbling, or picking myself up again, and I'll just keep moving forward. I don't think this is a journey that will ever come to an end, till the day I die. And though sometimes it gets so challenging trying to balance 2 passions that you really treasure and want to pursue, amidst a full-time job, maintaining a social life, and keeping SANE, I guess I'm just the kind of person who likes the challenge. (this surprises me, because I'm not someone who thrives under stress, nor am I a very competitive or aggressive person)

I don't know what the future holds for me, honestly, nor can I foresee where I will be in a year's time. But I do know that here and now, this is where I want to be, and this is what I want to do.
NKR signing off~

No comments: