Monday, April 30, 2012

why you shouldn't call my name.

WHOOHOO, exams are finally over, and my 6th semester in NUS is drawing to a close. :) i've decided to come here and type an entry before embarking on my never-ending list of to-dos-after-the-exams.

since this has often been a question that people ask me, i guess i'll spare some time to think properly about why i prefer to be called things other than my name. (with the exception of certain rude and sensitive nicknames thought of by jerks =___= )

my name, for one, is a pretty common name. it's kinda normal, and girly, and...uh...normal. a run-of-the-mill generic female name. there are tonnes of Nicoles in the world, and there's always been another Nicole in my class, clique, CCA group, whatever. i'm kinda sick of hearing people call "Nicole" and turn around and realise it isn't me they're calling. haha.

i like it when people call me Nic or other affectionate nicknames, because it's like, a sign of closeness. and recognition of the fact that i'm different from just another Nicole in the class next door, or the other Nicole that's reading the same module. calling me something shorter and more unique gives me that feeling of being a little more special than i'd otherwise be. :)

this is probably why i always give my closer friends nicknames and prefer to call them by that than their real (and probably more common) names. it gives them a special name that only our close circle calls them. people who know them well, people who know us well. :) hee.

No comments: